Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How much information is too much information...

I don't know if any of you watched the news tonight, but apparently there is going to be discussion about how much information the school districts should teach the kids about sex ed. Someone said something about teaching abstinence...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! Lets be realistic people. I know everyone has their own opinion, so keep in mind that when you read this you are reading MY opinion. As far as the whole "lets teach abstinence" thing goes I am so against it. I understand we don't want to give every little detail possible about sex, but lets face it if kids want to do it they are going to do it and I think it's better that they have the correct information about it. They need to know that they aren't invincible. People get pregnant and get diseases no matter how much they tell themselves they won't. Maybe this is my opinion because I was a teenage mom. I was a senior and a cheerleader on the varsity squad when I found out I was pregnant. It turned my whole world upside, but I don't regret it for even one second because I wouldn't have Sydney. I want my kids to be informed with the right information (when they are old enough obviously), and not just get some wacky information off the streets! You know that when they hear something they aren't going to come to us, their parents, and ask us if what they have heard is true, so why not give them as much educated information through school that is possible so we can feel comfortable knowing that our kids are not learning sex ed from their sadly misinformed peers!

1 comment:

Hayley said...

THANK YOU!!! Finally someone in this closed-minded town has the right idea! It's not like we want them to teach the kids how to do it. Just how to be safe if they do it!

I remember when they were first re-doing the abstinence program. Someone (one of the big gov't guys, can't remember who) compared it to sending the kids into a house full of poisonous gas with only a gas mask to protect them. And one of the nurses replied, "They're going to go in anyway. Shouldn't we at least let them have the mask?" It was brilliant. But obviously it didn't work.