Monday, November 30, 2009

The power of God

Most of you know by now that my Grandma passed away on Saturday afternoon. It was extremely hard and I miss her more than I ever could have imagined. This is a long story, so sit back and relax. The ending is nothing short of amazing though, so it's worth it.



On Friday my Grandma had been having pain 10 times worse than it have ever been before. The dr decided to run some more xrays to try and figure out what was going on. He also put a feeding tube in her nose, because she still wasn't eating anything at all. When they got the results of her xrays there were multiple hip and pelvic fractures that hadn't been there that hadn't been there when they took xrays on Wednesday. Obviously they needed to look into it more, so they had to run even more tests on her. Saturday morning my mom called me at 6 in the morning and said it wasn't good at all. My Grandma was diagnosed with blood cancer that was going through her body and braking all of her bones :( Their options were to keep her on pain meds and since her body can't metabloize it she would go fast, or take her off of the meds and she would suffer but her life would be prolonged. Obviously we aren't heartless, so we chose to keep her on pain meds. She had also started having what they call the death rattle. It just sounds like when you have a rattle and need to cough. I went right away to the hospital with my parents, so I could be with her. When I walked into that room it wasn't my Grandma I was looking at. She was scary thin and yellow. She was moaning in pain and struggling to breath, and she had that ugly tube coming out of her nose. The dr and a nurse came in about a half an hour after we got there, and told us that lab results showed she only had hours left to live. They wanted to know if they could take the tube out of her nose, keep her on pain meds and agitation meds to just keep her comfortable while she went. We agreed that would be best for her, so from there on out that's what they did. We called all our family, so they could come say goodbye. I even called Anth, so that he could get a sitter and come be with me because I knew I couldn't go through it without him. Even though she had been sleeping all day I like to think she felt us there with her. Anyway...all day long she had been struggling to breathe and moaning while she slept. It was really hard to listen to her, but the dr and nurses all said she was comfortable and fine and all of us continued to sit with her all day long. About 4:15 in the afternoon 2 of my cousins husbands came to give her a final blessing. I sat and held her hand as they did and just watched her. You could feel everything get really calm about halfway through the blessing, and my Grandma's breathing even started to calm down and become quieter. Once they finished the blessing I continued to sit with her. I rubbed her hair and told her I loved her, and my mom laid on her and cried. I felt so bad for her. I tried to comfort her, but I knew nothing I said would. My mom and I both looked at my Grandma and one single tear came out of her eye, and then she took her last breath. It was nothing short of amazing! She had been struggling all day, and within minutes of that final blessing she just had that one tear, and then she was gone. I know it's sad, but God was there with us. I don't care how religious you are, or even what religion you practice that was a very spiritual experience. I will miss my Grandma like crazy for as long as I live, but that experience helped comfort me, because she was so peaceful and I know God was there the entire time!

3 comments:

Hayley said...

I am so sorry you lost her, hon. But I'm glad she's no longer suffering and that she got to spend her last moments with her family. Your post was awesome. I cried.

And be negative for as long as you want to be. If you can't be negative at a time like this, when can you?

Melissa said...

That was such a great post. I'm so sorry for your loss but at the same time she is no longer in pain. I'm glad you got to experience her last moments where she was at peace. Its so amazing to know that God is always with us. We'll keep you in our prayers. Keep posting too, your posts are so great. And its really theraputic I think to get it all out there.

Henry Family said...

Ang, I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. Let me know if there is anything I can do