Tuesday, March 8, 2011

So proud of my Sydney!

Syd came to me yesterday and tells me, "Mom I need to talk to you." Pretty scary words coming out of your child's mouth, but I tried not to show that lol She asked me to read a note that her and a boy had been writing to each other that day, because she was worried about him. She noticed the boy was upset, and like the sweet girl that she is passed him a note to see if he was ok and ask what was wrong. The boy proceeded to pour his heart out to her and tell her that some girls have been telling him at lunch and recess that they want to kill him, and that everyone would be better off dead. Syd told him she didn't feel that way, and that she thought of him as a friend and asked if he had talked to the teacher about it. The poor guy said he was afraid to, so she came to me to see what I thought she should do. I wanted to cry knowing that this poor boy is going through something like that in 5th grade! Kids can be ruthless (girls especially!). I told Syd that I'm proud of her for being so kind to him that he felt he could open up to her like that. I also explained to her that she needed to show the note to her teacher, because something needed to be done about it and I can't help him. We talked about how sometimes kids get bullied for so long that they can't take it anymore and they end up hurting themselves, so if she let the teacher know what was going on and she could put a stop to things that it could make a huge difference in this boys life. I have always told my kids that they should be nice to everyone no matter what race, age, boy/girl, what they look like or how rich/poor, etc. they might be, and it makes me feel good to know that Sydney is listening to me. I'm glad that she knew it was serious enough that she needed to talk to someone about it. She has such a kind heart, and I hope she continues to be that way as she grows older.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

That is amazing that Sydney has such a tender heart. You have raised her so well. We try so hard as parents to teach our children to be kind to everyone... obviously you are getting through to her!!! That poor kid. I hope everything works out well. And those kids that are harrassing need some serious discipline.

~Ali~ said...

What a sweet girl!!! You should be so proud! I hope that something was done to those who were being so mean! Good job...sounds like you're raising them right!